Reviews / Media
ABOUT THE COMPOSER
"... a senior figure in the Canadian choral landscape."
- Michael Zaugg, Artistic Director and Principal Conductor of the professional chamber choir Pro Coro Canada, Edmonton
"ALONE / TOGETHER"
"A very beautiful composition; I really enjoy the harmonic choices you made.
This is an interesting composition because the electronic part is so involved, it is almost a choral-orchestral type of sound. The counterpoint between the wind writing and the choral writing is effective.
- Adjudicator, Canadian Chamber Choir competition
VIRTUAL CHOIR - THE "AT HOME CHOIR" 2020
"I am so excited by the coolness of this project. I am taking part, too, and have invited some of my university students to join me. This is for everyone - and it is SO timely! This is just the right thing at just the right moment."
- Dr. Darryl Edwards, University of Toronto Faculty of Music & Centre for Opera Studies and Appreciation / Centre for Opera Studies Italy
"SONGS OF LOVE AND DESPAIR"
"Teasdale is a wonderful poet and these are four of her masterful poems. Geoffrey Bell has spun these settings together to tell a story. It’s a beautiful set and the score is accessible for adult choirs.”
- Dr. Carol A. Beynon, Founding & Co-Artistic Director of Amabile Boys & Men’s Choirs
"THE HELIOS TRIPTYCH"
"The piece proved to be perfect for that particular spot in that particularly-hard-to-shape programme!"
- Jon Washburn, Director, The Vancouver Chamber Choir
"SHE'S LIKE THE SWALLOW"
"... a lovely arrangement... We are honoured to have premiered it!"
- Charlene Pauls, Director, London Pro Musica
"This famous Newfoundland folksong is given a lovely setting by Geoffrey. The flute part really makes the swallow fly high - despite the mournful sentiment of brokenhearted love. This piece has been set by many composers and this is surely one of the best arrangements."
- Larry Nickel, Publisher, Cypress Choral Music
"Bell’s Missa Brevis is a highly innovative and experimental work, one that stretches traditional harmonic and melodic content. Constant meter changes create tension and interest in shifting stresses in the syllables of text.
The piece uses contrapuntal, homophonic and solo textures to draw interest to the text in the new ways. And amidst the diversity in the musical content, there is a sense of unity in the work as each movement returns to the key center of E."
- Joannie Ing, from Doctoral dissertation, York University, Toronto
"... a beautiful concert Mass... I earnestly hope one day I will hear that it has been accepted for publication."
- Joan Leslie, Leslie Music Supply
"... beautiful and extremely well-crafted... Exceptional!"
- Kelly Dobbs Mickus, Associate Editor, GIA Publications
"... an admirer of your work... Your Missa Brevis is wonderful!"
- Ruth Wiwchar, Executive Director, Canadian International Publications
"PRELUDE FOR ORGAN AND TRUMPET"
"...wonderful, serious work..."
- Robert J Batastini, Senior Editor, GIA Publications
WORKS FOR CHILDREN'S CHOIRS
"I did a fair bit of adjudicating over the years and enjoyed hearing your children's choir music!"
- Nancy Telfer
"SNOW AND ICE" (first movement of the Canadian Seasons Song Cycle)
"... a very evocative and effective piece."
- Diane Loomer, Cypress Publishing
"CARING AND SHARING"
"This song really works!"
- Elaine Quilichini, Adjudicator, Choral Days - Calgary