REVIEWS / MEDIA
SONGS OF LOVE AND DESPAIR
"Teasdale is a wonderful poet and these are four of her masterful poems. Geoffrey Bell has spun these settings together to tell a story. It’s a beautiful set and the score is accessible for adult choirs.”
- Dr. Carol A. Beynon, Founding & Co-Artistic Director of Amabile Boys & Men’s Choirs
THE HELIOS TRIPTYCH
"The piece proved to be perfect for that particular spot in that particularly-hard-to-shape programme!"
- Jon Washburn, Director, The Vancouver Chamber Choir
SHE'S LIKE THE SWALLOW
"... a lovely arrangement... We are honoured to have premiered it!"
- Charlene Pauls, Director, London Pro Musica
"This famous Newfoundland folksong is given a lovely setting by Geoffrey. The flute part really makes the swallow fly high - despite the mournful sentiment of brokenhearted love. This piece has been set by many composers and this is surely one of the best arrangements."
- Larry Nickel, Publisher, Cypress Choral Music
"Bell’s Missa Brevis is a highly innovative and experimental work, one that stretches traditional harmonic and melodic content. Constant meter changes create tension and interest in shifting stresses in the syllables of text.
The piece uses contrapuntal, homophonic and solo textures to draw interest to the text in the new ways. And amidst the diversity in the musical content, there is a sense of unity in the work as each movement returns to the key center of E."
- Joannie Ing, from Doctoral dissertation, York University, Toronto
"... a beautiful concert Mass... I earnestly hope one day I will hear that it has been accepted for publication."
- Joan Leslie, Leslie Music Supply
"... beautiful and extremely well-crafted... Exceptional!"
- Kelly Dobbs Mickus, Associate Editor, GIA Publications
"... an admirer of your work... Your Missa Brevis is wonderful!"
- Ruth Wiwchar, Executive Director, Canadian International Publications
PRELUDE FOR ORGAN AND TRUMPET
"...wonderful, serious work..."
- Robert J Batastini, Senior Editor, GIA Publications
WORKS FOR CHILDREN'S CHOIRS
"I did a fair bit of adjudicating over the years and enjoyed hearing your children's choir music!"
- Nancy Telfer
SNOW AND ICE - from the Canadian Seasons Song Cycle
"... a very evocative and effective piece."
- Diane Loomer, Cypress Publishing
CARING AND SHARING
"This song really works!"
- Elaine Quilichini, Adjudicator, Choral Days - Calgary